Thursday, June 23, 2011

ARACHNECIDE JUSTIFIED

Spider why
Stray into my shower-box
Dark, in the pre dawn ?
- Shaded with my unillumined fears
Of things beneath the bed,
Around the corner of my grown maturity.

Naked in a chilly morning,
Shivering wet-fleshed in my shower-spray, up I looked
And froze:
Trapped in the splashing water heat,
The blanketing clouds of steam,
Large - on my ceiling, overhead
You quivered;
Disdaining gravity’s demand in confident contention
With your eight legs spread secure.

Reassured you’d soon retreat
To refuge in your dry dark hiding place,
My calmness too returned
With watered warmth, yet watching still.

But as you sensed the moisture-weighting risk
In protest did you raise one anchoring foot
And then another, till you FELL !

Web-slowed, leg-spread in your descent toward my feet !
- my panic flinging me outside
- to stand soap-dripping in my angry fear
- to see you scramble round
Shower-drop confused and frightened on my shower-box floor.

What choice had I, but desperate defence by aerosol ?
(- as thoughtless of the ozone layer’s loss as you had been)
Smothering your legs,your head, your jaws
In poisoned suffocating fear until you stumbled,
Now malfunctioned in your heaving arcs,
Turned in tighter silent-gasping circles,
Wound down and locked into your leg-clenched toxic death.


Why ?
We could have co-existed in my house;
Warily esteeming all your craft and skilled co-ordination
As I do :
But your folly was to so
Intrude into the shadow of my childhood fears,
Your trespass danger to my clothed and certain years.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

G D Bolton                 1978

No comments:

Post a Comment